1. Two years ago my parents brought some iris bulbs from their garden, offspring of bulbs I had planted when I was a teen, and I planted them in this little bed I created. Along the edge I also put in some lupine seeds. Most of them didn’t sprout and the one that did sprout didn’t bloom at all that year. Nor did it bloom last year. But this year… Wow!
A true Miss Rumphius moment. They are glorious! So many flowers. And so tall—almost up to Sophie’s shoulder. I need to plant more lupines.
2. Dom took this picture of me with all the kids. I’m pretty happy with it. Sure, Ben is pouting and Sophie is diving out of the shot, but that’s life.
3. I can’t remember if I already shared these or not. A lady at the library told us where there was a swan’s nest with eggs about to hatch. So we went to take a look. The nest was right there on the other side of the chain link fence, both swans were taking turns sitting on the nest.
We haven’t been back to see if the eggs have hatched. The thing is, it’s in the opposite direction from the library, the grocery store, the farmer’s market, everything. So it’s not easy to remember to just swing by. But I do want to see the cygnets.
4. Anthony took his lunch outside. How lovely it is that we can do this now! And how sweet is it that he is so independent?
5. I took Lucia outside to look at the irises and she started grabbing at the leaves in the crabapple tree. When I went to take her picture, she turned to look at the camera and oh it was the sweetest picture.
Sometimes she just looks like a little doll.
6. After the farmer’s market we picked up some pizza and subs and took them to the park for a picnic. It was hot, but the kids ran around and picked up acorns and had a grand time.
7. Last night we had our Saturday night farmer’s market bounty feast. Dom grilled some sausages and chicken and peppers and onions while I made some asparagus, turnip greens, and chard. While I was snapping a picture of my plate I noticed a little hand reaching out to grab at my plate. Lucia, who was sitting on my lap, snagged a piece of the turnip greens and even got it into her mouth. I don’t think she was very happy with the taste.
Join the discussion