Dom and the boys went to a cub scout cooking event on Friday. They went with ingredients to make stew and inexplicably came back with a five pound bag of carrots. So today I made carrot cake and a carrot and beet curry.
1 onion, diced
4 medium sized beets, chopped into 1 inch chunks
4 large carrots, chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
4-6 cloves of garlic
1 inch cube of ginger root, peeled
1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, seeded and diced
1/3-1/2 cup cilantro, minced
about 6 oz of tomato paste
1 can coconut milk or coconut cream
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp red pepper
salt to taste
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add onions and sautee until starting to brown.
2. Meanwhile put garlic and ginger into a bender with 1/2 cup of water and puree into a paste (works even better in a big cup with an immersion blender).
3. When onions are brown at the edges, add in garlic-ginger paste. Cook until most of the water has evaporated.
4. Add tomato paste and stir.
5. Add carrots, beets, and spices. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add coconut cream and diced chiles and a bit of water.
7. Cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes or more, until everything is soft.
8. Add cilantro and serve.