Weir River Farm

The days are getting shorter and cooler. The leaves are turning. The farmer’s market it shut for the season so this Saturday we had to find something else to do. Time to seize one of the last fine days of the year and return to one of our favorite places: Weir River Farm in Hingham.

Sophie started the day on the wrong foot, falling into the mud and losing her shoe. But she recovered and all was well.

From the top of Turkey Hill, looking down to the farm. You can spot the red barn as a little dot. This picture doesn’t really catch it; but in the distance we could spy a glimpse of the ocean.

Black and white Belted Galloways grazing in an upland meadow.

Bella and Sophie run down the hill. “I can see the ocean, Mama!”

I was fascinated by this plant, I think it was a vine growing on the fence but it might have been a shrub. The berries were light green, bright pink, bright blue and bright purple all on the same branches. They reminded me of speckled Easter eggs. Anyone know what this plant is?

Bella by the big red barn.

The sheep sweetly graze.

Throwing sticks off the bridge.

Pooh sticks.

Bella says: “It would be a cute picture of me in front of the camel, don’t you think?”

Even cuter with three of them.

Rest stop halfway up the hill.

Bella’s favorite animals of the day were the cows… because she remembered the word “calf” for a baby cow.

9 Responses to Weir River Farm

1. Kristen @ St Monica's Bridge October 19, 2011 at 8:12 am #

Shelby loves our morning glories. I mean she really loves them. Lucky for us (and her) they are edible. And one of her favorite snacks…who knew?

2. jen ambrose October 19, 2011 at 8:33 am #

I love everything about this post.

3. Cathy J October 19, 2011 at 10:01 am #

They are lovely, but do be careful of the seeds: they are poisonous.
    (We have a new puppy and I’m watching the poisonous plants closely right now.)

4. Mamanerd October 19, 2011 at 10:20 am #

Glories indeed!

5. Sharon October 19, 2011 at 5:48 am #

In Australia, way back, houses had outside toilets and when I was a child, passing by train through older suburbs, most backyards had a Morning Glory vine disguising the outside loo. In the country I think they are considered a pest because they spread so rampantly

6. Maria Johnson October 19, 2011 at 6:53 am #

Beautiful! What a lovely celebration of life.

7. Idoya October 20, 2011 at 5:15 am #

Melanie, this is beautiful, such a lovely story! It reminds me of a picture book by Arlene Alda called “Morning Glory Monday”. You should look for it, it’s a really special story set in New York in the 1930’s. It brought tears to my eyes… that sort of picture book.  Enjoy your glories!

8. Elizabeh K. October 21, 2011 at 7:41 am #

Beautiful!  Back when I lived in the Pacific Northwest, they grew really well, and our neighbors covered an ugly fence between our houses with them.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. How to visit Boston's museums with your family on a budget | Bettnet.com - July 18, 2014

[…] of our favorite places in the network are Weir River Farm (see Melanie’s posts here and here) and World’s End, both in Hingham. World’s End is a couple of islands connected to the […]